Monday 10 May 2010

An Introduction to the Staten Island Arts Community

Staten Island's arts community may not be huge and it may not be as integrated with the rest of New York City as I would like, but it's vibrant and filled with dedicated people. This past weekend I had the pleasure of meeting many of them. I attended the job fair at the conclusion of COAHSI's first Teaching Artist Training Institute, which aims to arm independent teaching artists with the skills and savvy they need to tackle this lovely "new normal" economy of ours.

Some of the organizations represented included:

ARTLAB - A nonprofit art school offering affordable classes in a variety of mediums. I can't wait for them to release their summer schedule; I think I might try my hand at something new!

Sundog Theatre - A performing arts organization that both stages professional productions and coaches children to write and produce their own plays. They hosted a camp at the Conference House last summer, and the production the students wrote and performed was one of the most delightful things I've ever seen. Sundog Theatre was one of the sponsors of the Teaching Artist Training Institute, along with COAHSI and the Center for Arts Education.

The Staten Island Children's Museum - I haven't been here in about 12 years, but I remember it being a wonderland. As someone who loved last year's AAM party at the Please Touch Museum in Philadelphia, I reckon I would still think so. (Looking back, I volunteered here in middle school. Think I should add it to my resume? :P)

Illuminart - One of the newer arts organizations on Staten Island (via Michigan), Illuminart is already making a name for itself with theatrical performances aimed at stopping bullying and raising awareness about social issues.

Staten Island Museum - Staten Island's oldest museum, with art, archaeology, history, and natural history collections spanning Staten Island's 350+ year history. They're conveniently located near the Staten Island Ferry, so if you've been to a museum on Staten Island odds are this is it.

The Conference House - My museum! The Conference House is a 17th century manor house located at the southern tip of Staten Island. Most of our programs focus on 18th century history (the peace conference for which the Conference House is named took place in 1776) but we hope to offer options soon, including conflict resolution and conducting oral history. We were thrilled to be included amongst the organizations tabling at this event.

Universal Temple of the Arts - UTA offers free and inexpensive art programs to low and middle income students and families. They're one of the few Staten Island cultural organizations located right in the community they primarily serve.

The job fair was held at the Noble Maritime Museum which, like ARTLAB and the Staten Island Children's Museum, is located at Snug Harbor Cultural Center. Snug Harbor is a beautiful place that features the Staten Island Botanical Gardens, the New York Chinese Scholar's Garden, and the archives for the Staten Island Museum. Many other cultural organizations rent rehearsal and performance space here. It's not too far from the Ferry (just take the s44 bus) and it's well worth the trip.

And those are just the organizations! There were also a wide range of talented professionals--muralists, actors, photographers, musicians, curators, etc--who had attended the Staten Island Teaching Artists Institute. I had a ball meeting and chatting with them.

It's a little depressing to think of all these fabulously talented people struggling to make a go of it in the current economic climate, but I try to save my jabbering about harsh economic realities for Museos Unite. Overall I found the job fair to be an enlightening experience. Not to play into cliches, but I work in a historic house museum. Most of the people I come in contact with are staunch traditionalists. My museum is also located in a fairly affluent area of Staten Island, so we don't do as much work with at-risk youth as many of these other organizations. "My" Staten Island, which anyone who has met me knows I'm not a huge fan of, is not the only Staten Island. And thank goodness for that! [1]


[1] - Sorry potential employers. Just because this is something you can find on the Internet doesn't mean I'm going to pretend to love something when I don't. I am a young lady of unimpeachable honesty and excellent spade recognition skills. I call it like I see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment